Fire risks for Missoula businesses
The home is the most likely place for a fire to occur—that’s where we cook, where we light candles, where we kindle fireplaces to keep warm in the winter—and so we tend to focus most of our fire prevention efforts in the home. And while it’s true that more fires occur in houses and apartments than in non-residential structures, non-residential fires in the United States still total over 100,000 each year. If you own a business or manage employees, it’s important to know where the risk of fire is highest in your work environment so you can take preventative measures and keep your employees safe.
Cooking is the number one cause of structure fires, even outside the home. For this reason, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers should always be installed in spaces with cooking appliances—even if it’s just a microwave—and sprinkler systems should be in place wherever possible. Carelessness is the second-leading cause of non-residential structure fires. This is why fire safety and prevention training should always be implemented in the workplace and include regulations such as where it is safe to smoke and discard cigarettes on the premises; if, where, and when candles are allowed; if, where, and how heating equipment is to be used in the building; and proper use of electrical devices that may be fire hazards. Another leading cause of commercial fires is HVAC system malfunction. You can greatly reduce the risk of an HVAC system malfunction by having your work space’s HVAC system cleaned and inspected annually.
SERVPRO of Missoula can help identify these and other risk factors in your commercial space and create an emergency plan for your employees at no cost – call us today and ask about our Emergency Ready Profiles!