If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (406) 327-9500

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fire Damage Statistics

10/19/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Fire Damage Statistics Fire department responds to a residential fire scene.

The National Fire Protection Association reports that between 2009-2013, decorations were the item first ignited in an estimated average of 860 reported home structure fires per year.  Please heed the following tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe this Halloween.

  • Nearly half of decoration fires in homes occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source.
  • These fires caused an estimated average of one civilian death, 41 civilian injuries and $13 million in direct property damage per year.
  • Forty-one percent of these incidents were started by candles; one-fifth began in the living room, family room, or den. 
  • When choosing a costume, stay away from long trailing fabric. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so he or she can see out.
  • Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
  • Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily. Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
  • Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-olanterns. If you use a real candle, use extreme caution. Make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. When lighting candles inside jack-olanterns, use long, fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways and yards.
  • Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
  • Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working.
  • Tell children to stay away from open flames including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire. (Have them practice, stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.)

For more information visit https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Seasonal-fires/Halloween-safety

If the unexpected does happen you can always count on SERVPRO of Missoula to respond to any fire or smoke damage.   We have the knowledge, experience and top of the line equipment to help make any fire damage “Like it never even happened.”  Call us today at 406-327-9500 to see what SERVPRO can do for you.

Other News

View Recent Posts